The authoritative version of the terms of reference of each standing and ad hoc committee of the Real Estate Council of Ontario (“RECO”) is maintained in the records of the Secretariat. All other versions, whether found online or maintained in other departments of RECO or elsewhere, are available for information purposes only. In case of any discrepancy between the version maintained by the Secretariat and other available versions, the version maintained by the Secretariat shall prevail.
The purposes of the Registrar’s Education Advisory Committee (the “Committee”) are as follows:
- To advise the Registrar, appointed under the Trust in Real Estate Services Act, 2002 (TRESA), regarding the education requirements established by TRESA.
- To assist the Registrar in setting education requirements that result in competent registrants under TRESA.
- To assist the Registrar in monitoring the education requirements and the performance of education programs established or approved by the Registrar.
- To provide strategic input and guidance on matters relating to the education requirements and programs under the authority of the Registrar.
II. Chair, Vice-Chair and Membership
1. Membership and Chair
- The Committee shall consist of at least six members appointed by the Registrar. When appointing members, the Registrar will consider a number of factors, including, but not limited to, (a) the knowledge and skill necessary to carry out the duties, functions and responsibilities of the Committee, (b) diversity, and (c) continuity.
- The Registrar shall appoint a Committee chair and vice-chair from among the members appointed by the Registrar.
- In addition to the members appointed by the Registrar, the RECO Board of Directors may appoint up to two members of the Board of Directors to the Committee.
- From time to time, the Registrar may seek input from other experts who have specialized skill, knowledge, or experience to support the work of the Committee.
2. Appointment Terms
- Appointments will usually be made for a three-year term. However, terms may vary, depending on the needs of the committee and continuity. A member’s length of service on the committee will not usually exceed a total of six years, unless the Registrar decides it is desirable for some other reason.
Generally, the following RECO staff members will support the work of the Committee:
Joseph Richer, Registrar
Gail McGuire, Deputy Registrar, Education
Paul Lush, Manager, Education Programs
III. Duties, Functions & Responsibilities
The Committee shall perform the following duties, functions and responsibilities:
- To support the development of strategies, policies and project plans related to education requirements and programs established or approved by the Registrar, as authorized under TRESA and in keeping with the RECO strategic planning goals and objectives as well as public interest, sustainability, risk and innovation.
- To review the education requirements established or approved by the Registrar, including pre-registration, post-registration and continuing education, and to make recommendations to the Registrar regarding those requirements and any related matters.
- To receive reports regarding the performance of education programs as the Registrar may generate periodically at the Registrar’s discretion, and to provide advice to the Registrar regarding the programs.
- To provide support in identifying subject matter expertise required to develop, revise or maintain education programs.
- Acting on the advice of the Registrar and in anticipation of the Registrar’s needs, to prepare an annual plan for the work of the Committee for approval by the Registrar.
- To review documentation and information in preparation for meetings.
- To assist in preparing and reviewing the Committee’s terms of reference and work plan, and making recommendations for change to the Registrar as may be required.
- Acting on the advice of the Registrar, to establish working groups of the Committee, as the Committee may deem advisable to complete the work of the Committee.
- To perform such other duties and responsibilities as the Registrar may assign.
IV. Meetings and Time Commitment
The Committee meets approximately six times per year, or as requested by the Registrar. Review preparation time required for each meeting may vary depending on the matters being discussed. The Committee may meet either face-to-face or by conference call.
V. Budget and Expenses
The budget for the Committee is approved by the RECO Board of Directors as part of RECO’s annual budget, and in keeping with RECO policies. No expenditures or commitments against that budget may be made without the authorization of the Registrar and must be made in keeping with RECO policies.